Give Kids an Early Start on Straighter Teeth
Dentistry has come of age and now many orthodontists advise extremely early treatment for children. This preventative approach is believed to benefit children by treating trouble early to avoid later issues.
Early Orthodontic Treatment
Braces can be worn at every stage of life, but orthodontists strongly prefer for treatment to start at an early age. In fact, The American Association of Orthodontics advises children to get their first orthodontic screening by the age of six. There are many reasons for these recommendations regarding early care, including:
- A child’s permanent teeth generally start to erupt between the ages of six and seven.
- It may be possible to help permanent teeth emerge into better positions by detecting problems before they come in.
- The jaw is still growing, which makes many problems easier to treat.
- Young bones are still developing and more susceptible to treatment.
- Orthodontists can determine the proper course of treatment over the next few years.
Choose Stylish Braces
Kids have every reason to smile over today’s better braces that allow them to give their smiles more style. With new brightly colored elastics, kids can choose and change the colors of braces to match their mood or show school spirit. Orthodontists love this trend since it gets kids involved with treatment.
Adapting to Wearing Braces
Today’s braces are more comfortable and less noticeable than the pairs from the past. Yet it can take time for kids to get used to wearing them. Here are some of the best orthodontist tips for adapting to braces:
- Slowly chew food and take smaller bites since eating can be difficult at first.
- Take extra time to brush and floss your teeth since food tends to get caught in the brackets and wires of braces.
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever if needed after adjustments.
Find the best orthodontist for your child by asking your dentist for recommendations.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Westminster, call Dental One Associates of Westminster today at (410) 970-0292 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Westminster. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Westminster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Westminster.