How to Handle Healing from a Tooth Extraction
Most people find that recovery after a tooth extraction is easier than expected and takes only about a week. For toothache relief and to make the healing process smooth and simple, take this advice for aftercare.
The First 24 Hours: What You Should Know
In the first few hours after pulling teeth, you should expect some swelling, bleeding, and pain. Slight discomfort is completely normal after a tooth extraction and will depend on the number of teeth you had pulled, the complexity of your case, and your personal tolerance for pain. Pain and problems should lessen each day as you heal. But if the pain gets worse, you may be suffering from a problematic condition called dry socket. After a tooth extraction, a blood clot will begin to form in the socket to help the area heal. If that clot gets dislodged, then dry socket can occur and cause a painful infection requiring urgent care and medication. This only occurs in a very small number of cases, but it’s important to take every precaution to ensure a speedy and safe recovery.
Tips for a Smooth Recovery
Knowing what to expect after pulling teeth can greatly ease your mind and your pain. Just follow these tips for toothache relief and you should be able to resume normal activities in about a week:
- Take any painkillers prescribed by your dentist for toothache relief.
- Use ice packs on your face or jaw to reduce pain and swelling.
- Gently rinse your mouth with warm, salty water a few times each day to help reduce swelling, pain, and the risk of infection.
- No forceful rinsing, spitting, or sucking is allowed after a tooth extraction to ensure you don’t disrupt the protective blood clot in the socket, which allows the wound to heal.
- Consume only soft foods and liquids for the first few days, then slowly add back solid foods after that time.
- Continue to brush and floss your teeth as always, but make sure not to disrupt the blood clot.
- Follow any special instructions from your dentist.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Westminster, call Dental One Associates of Westminster today at (410) 970-0292 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Westminster. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Westminster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Westminster.