Dental Anxiety in Parents and Kids
A recent study conducted by Delta Dental in conjunction with April’s National Anxiety Month showed that parents who are afraid of the dentist might unwittingly pass their dental phobia along to their kids. The study showed that the number of parents who had fear of the dentist closely matched the number of kids with the same dental anxiety. Factors associated with a fear of the dentist include feelings of helplessness, post-traumatic stress disorder, fear of needles, financial concerns, embarrassment about oral conditions, and past abuse. You can avoid instilling fear in your children by addressing your own dental anxiety and focusing on the positive aspects of going to the dentist when discussing it with your kids.
How to Manage Your Fear of the Dentist
- Avoid caffeine and sugar before your dental visit as these can contribute to nervousness.
- Utilize in-office distractions like televisions, or bring along your own media devices.
- Find a dentist who specializes in treating patients with dental anxiety.
- Explain your fear to your dentist, and request detailed explanations of treatments and procedures.
- Agree on a hand signal to alert your dentist when you’re feeling dental anxiety during treatment.
- Use relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or guided imagery.
- Consider professional counseling for your dental phobia.
Consider Sedation Dentistry
Several methods of sedation dentistry are used to help prevent and relieve dental phobia:
- Sedation via pills or tablets
- Nitrous oxide (inhaled) sedation
- IV (intravenous) sedation
- General anesthesia
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Westminster, call Dental One Associates of Westminster today at (410) 970-0292 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Westminster. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Westminster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Westminster.