Touch on the Trouble of Tooth Sensitivity
You’re facing tooth sensitivity if your teeth begin to tingle and sting whenever they are touched by pressure, air, or extreme temperatures. Discover what causes this condition and how you can ease the piercing problem.
Spot the Source of Your Sensitive Teeth
Your teeth become sensitive when your tooth enamel is worn away and the underlying layer called dentin is exposed. This dentin covers the tooth’s roots, which can produce pangs of pain upon stimulation or sensation, and result in sensitivity. The trouble with treating sensitive teeth is that there are plenty of possible causes. Luckily, simply seeing an affordable dentist can get to the root of your particular problem. But most cases of tooth sensitivity result from one of the following factors:
- Harsh Brushing – Brushing your teeth too hard or using a hard-bristled toothbrush can erode your tooth enamel and cause your gums to recede.
- Gum Recession – This happens when the gums move away from a tooth and expose the tooth’s root, which makes teeth more sensitive.
- Gum Disease – This occurs when the gums become irritated or inflamed and expose the tooth’s root, which leads to the sensitive nerve.
- Damaged Teeth – Teeth that get chipped, cracked, or broken can fill up with bacteria from plaque and cause severe inflammation and pain.
- Grinding your Teeth – This can wear away the tooth enamel and expose the tooth’s underlying dentin, which leads directly to the nerves and root of the tooth.
- Age – Adults are the most frequent sufferers of tooth sensitivity, with most cases striking between the ages of 25 and 30.
- Acidic Foods and Beverages – Regularly consuming highly acidic foods and drinks can cause tooth enamel to erode.
- Abrasive Tooth Whitening Products and Pastes – Frequent tooth whitening and long-term use of whitening toothpastes can cause tooth sensitivity.
- Certain Acidic Mouth Rinses – Some over-the-counter mouthwashes contain acids that can erode the enamel and damage the delicate dentin beneath.
- Recent Routine Dental Treatments – Many people experience temporary tooth sensitivity after teeth cleanings, root canals, and tooth restoration procedures.
How to Reduce and Relieve Tooth Sensitivity
You don’t have to live with sensitive teeth. There are many ways to alleviate the ache and control your condition, such as:
- Practice Proper Dental Hygiene – It’s important to brush and floss your teeth gently, thoroughly, and regularly to keep your mouth healthy.
- Choose a Soft-Bristled Toothbrush – Softer bristles are less abrasive on teeth and gums, which can reduce your risk of sensitive teeth.
- Select a Special Desensitizing Toothpaste – There are many varieties available, so it’s best to ask your affordable dentist which ones are right for you.
- Eat and Drink Wisely – Regularly consuming foods and beverages high in acid can wear away tooth enamel, which can expose the tooth’s underlying dentin and cause tooth sensitivity.
- Manage Tooth Grinding – Use a mouth guard at night to protect your teeth from erosion if you frequently grind your teeth.
- Get Regular Professional Dental Care – Be sure to schedule check-ups and cleanings with an affordable dentist every six months, as well as follow all at-home hygiene instructions, to protect and preserve your smile.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Westminster, call Dental One Associates of Westminster today at (410) 970-0292 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Westminster. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Westminster, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Westminster.